NOW works to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society; secure abortion, birth control and reproductive rights for all women; end all forms of violence against women; eradicate racism, sexism and homophobia; and promote equality and justice in our society.
NOW takes the position that every issue is a woman's issue, and we work to promote women's interests and raise awareness of how public policy decisions impact women's lives. During the 2005 legislative session we fought to...
- secure better funding for women's health care
- improve emergency care for survivors of rape and sexual assault
- protect the rights of GLBT families
- protect young women's right to reproductive freedom
- recognize the achievements of our suffragist foremothers by declaring August 26, the anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment, Women's Equality Day
We also co-sponsored an Equal Pay Day rally and press conference, womaned tables at Pride Texas and DemocracyFest, joined other progressive organizations in raising awareness of and grassroots opposition to anti-woman judicial nominees, and hosted a national NOW board meeting and march across the US-Mexico border to demand justice for the women of Juarez.